8 Gala apples
60 g butter to cook the apples
12 duck liver slices
150 g butter for the sauce
1/2 tsp Chinese five-spice
salt and pepper
Chervil leaves for decoration
500 g bread flour
60 g sugar
15 g dry yeast
7 to 8 eggs (375 g)
10 g Fleur De Sel
250 g cold butter
for egg wash: 1 egg and 1/4 tsp salt
TO MAKE THE BRIOCHE
1. Place the flour, sugar and yeast into the bowl of a mixer equipped with a dough hook.
2. Start the mixer and add the 7 to 8 eggs almost all together and then the fleur de sel.
3. Work the dough for 10 minutes or until it does not stick anymore to the bowl and add the cold butter which has been cut into small pieces. Continue to work the dough with the hook until the butter is completely melted and incorporated. It’ll take around 10 minutes.
4. Place the dough in a clean bowl and let it rest for 2 to 3 hours in a closed cabinet or in the oven (not turned on!). It must be at room temperature and protected from air.
5. After this proving time, knock down the dough, cover with plastic film and place it in the fridge overnight.
6. The day after, take the dough out from the fridge and knock it down again. Butter some small moulds and scale the dough into 30 g for the big ball and 10 g for the small ball.
7. You can make around 22 pairs.
8. Shape some nice balls with the 30 g pieces, folding the seams under, and place them in the small moulds. Make a dip hole with one finger and place the smaller ball of dough very straight inside the bigger piece. Place them in a closed cabinet or in the oven and let them rise again for a good hour or until they double.
9. Preheat the oven to 210°C.
10. Whisk the egg and salt together, sieve. Brush brioches with the egg wash before baking.
11. Bake the brioches for 15 minutes until dark gold in colour. Remove from moulds immediately and cool on a cooling rack. Brioches can be frozen and defrosted when needed – warm them in the oven at 150°C for 7 minutes.
TO PREPARE THE APPLES
1. Clean and peel the 8 apples. Cut 6 of them in 3 equal pieces horizontally and remove the seeds.
2. Cook them in a pan with 60 g of butter for 5 to 10 minutes and put them on an oven plate to finish cooking. They must be tender but not mashed. Keep aside.
TO PREPARE THE APPLE JUICE
Use a juice extractor to make the juice with the 2 left over apples. Keep aside.
FIFTEEN MINUTES BEFORE SERVING
1. Heat the apples and brioches in the oven at 180°C. Meantime, bring the apple juice to boil and, on a very low heat, start adding the cold butter piece by piece, stirring all the time. Add half a teaspoon of Chinese five-spice, salt and pepper and keep aside on a very low heat (like bain-marie).
2. Heat a pan on high temperature and cook the duck liver slices 1 minute on each side.
3. Keep them for a while on kitchen towels. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Place half of the brioche on a serving plate, add the hot apple slice, then the duck liver and top with the top of the brioche. Pierce through with a wooden stick to hold everything together. Emulsion the sauce with a soup blender and pour the sauce on top and around the brioche. Garnish with a chervil leaf and serve immediately.
Recipe by Chef Nathalie.